Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday Faith: Riding Waves

Every summer we used to go to the beach with my dad's side of the family. Twenty-something people, all related, all under one roof for an entire week.  It's a wonder we survived.  But we did.  And those are some of my favorite memories.

One thing I really loved to do while we were down at the water was float on my back, head toward the horizon, feet toward the shore.   I would wait for the start of waves to come and push me high into the air, and upright, leaving me in a standing position.  I would do it over and over, floating further and further down the beach.

I don't remember ever being scared of what was below me, or that I might land in a way that left me hurt.

Even though I had no idea when the next wave would come or if it would roll on by or crash on top of me, I was never worried that I would end up any other way than on my feet.  Upright.  Standing tall.

Faith.

That's what it feels like.

The truth is we're all riding waves, moving from one thing to the next.  Today to tomorrow.  Week to week. But when you have faith, you can lay back and let God carry you.  True, you move away from the shore--the safety--but that's where the real living and fun start.  And when you stop fighting the waves, and start letting God lead you, you'll find that you may not end up where you planned, but you'll always end up where you're supposed to be.

There's no telling what's under you while you're floating along.  Troubles, dangers, unexpected changes. But when God is the one that's in control--when you let Him truly carry you--you don't focus on what's below.  Your focus is on the ride--the life itself--that God is providing.

Giving control to God doesn't mean that waves won't knock you done from time to time or that you won't end up in difficult places, far from comfort.  But it does mean you're never alone.  Your God is with you. And He will never leave you as He sees you through the worst to get you to the best.

When you pass through the waters, 
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers, 
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire, 
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.

Isaiah 43:2 (NIV) 







No comments:

Post a Comment