Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Chocolate What Cookies?

The problem with trying to eat healthy most of the time is the fact that, along with my want and need to eat well, is my insatiable want and need to eat crap.

Pure and utter crap.  Generally in the form of something baked and sweet.

Cookies and breads and pies, oh my!

I've really been trying to limit by sugar and flour intake so that really counts out most cookies and breads and pies.  Dang it.

There are tons of recipes that don't use these things and you can find them all over the internet and in various cookbooks that cater to such things.  You know, the sugar and flourless.

I ran into one the other night that looked both easy and like it might have potential to not totally stink.  And, like something that would be cheap enough considering I already had most of the ingredients, that I wouldn't be upset if they ended up being gross.  So, all the important boxes checked, I set out to make Chocolate Avocado Cookies.

Yep.  Cookies.  With chocolate.  And avocado?  And honey, an egg and a tiny little bit of baking soda.  Oh, and some chocolate chunks for good measure.  Really, that's it.

I found the recipe on the blog The Smoothie Lover.   You can see the full recipe here.

Basically you blend it all together and cook it at 350* for 8-10 minutes.  Mine definitely took at least ten.

She says: they look like coal.
He says: they look like cow poop. 
When they are done they look, well, interesting.  I believe my husband asked who let the cows poop in the house.  So, there's that visual for you.  But, he was brave enough to try them and, wouldn't you know it, actually liked them!

They are super chocolatey and you don't taste the avocado.  Well, I did a tad, but that's me.  Steven
hates avocados and he couldn't taste them at all.

My little gave them a shot and ate the entire cookie, minus one tiny morsel, before declaring he didn't like it.  I think it's a texture thing.

Speaking of, they are extremely sticky and not your typical cookie.  But they're good and I could see making them again when we need a chocolate fix that won't undo any good we've done.  You know, like an Oreo does.  Or a KitKat.  Or a brownie.  With ice cream on top.  Or...

Wait, what was I saying?  

Anyway, this one was a keeper.  A weird-looking, have to stay refrigerated, kinda odd-textured, winner.

I'll consider that a victory.

--Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment