Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Quinoa for Quinoa Haters

I'm kind of in love with quinoa right now.  It's true.  And I've got the Pinterest boards to prove it.

This stuff is good and good for you.  Killer combo.  The best part?  You don't have to dress it up too much for me to chow down.  I'll take it plain, just as is, thank you very much. 

However, there really is so much you can do with this little gem of a grain.  And that's probably good, since my husband has yet to embrace all things quinoa.   Don't get me wrong, he'll eat it. But usually only when it is hiding in the chili we make (that's a killer recipe you can find here) or underneath a good dollop of barbecue sauce.

For some reason he's just not getting into the quinoa tossed with steamed veggies like I am.  When I put that on his plate, I swear he's thinking, "Can't we just eat rice?  For the love of all things edible, won't she just make rice?!"

No she won't. 

But I will keep trying to make things with quinoa that he won't gag on or spit out.  You're welcome, honey.

So last night we tried a One Pan Mexican Quinoa that--wait for it--everyone in my house loved.  Yeah, you heard me.  Even the almost-three-year-old gobbled it up.  "Can I have another bite, Mommy?"  When that sentence is not about cake, it's music to this mommy's ears. 

I found the recipe on Pinterest (um, duh) by none other than my favorite food blogger, Chung-Ah of Damn Delicious (and again I say, duh).  I mean, this girl might have to start cutting me a check for all the advertising I give on Caffeine & Concealer!  I'm joking of course--sort of

However, she's got the best ideas and this was no exception.  This one was easy and fast.  Two of my requirements for weeknight cooking.  And, it was made with quinoa and other good for you ingredients, making it a guilt-free meal as well.  Win! 

The recipe is below. (Taken directly from Damn Delicious--all credit to Chung-Ah.  The picture is
hers, too.)

The only change I made was eliminating the extra salt it called for.  I'm not a salt-adder (Word?  No? Fine.).  I don't think it's necessary when you already have canned items (like the tomatoes, and broth) that will have sodium in them.  And I'm always interested in keeping the sodium to a minimum.  Just a personal choice. 

Oh, and I didn't add the cilantro.  I don't like cilantro that much.  Again, just a personal thing.  So I guess I changed two itty-bitty things. 

So, if you're a quinoa hater, try this out.  It may not make you love it with steamed veggies.  But I bet you this won't be the last time you make this meal.  Hate no more! 

--Jessica

 
One Pan Mexican Quinoa
Damn Delicious
 
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapenos, minced
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Instructions
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  • Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro.
  • Serve immediately.





No comments:

Post a Comment