Friday, April 18, 2014

On a Positive Note

I am not the most naturally positive person.  I mean, I'm looking at that glass like everyone else.  And honestly, I'm thinking it needs more sweet tea.  But that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, I can find the silver linings in clouds and I can smile when things aren't so wonderful.  Just because positivity doesn't come automatically for me, doesn't me that it fails to come at all.  I just have to work at it.  Because I want it.  Because I need it.  I believe we all do. 

As I've gotten older I've tried to make a conscious decision to be more positive, to say nicer things and, the hardest of all, to think better things.  After all, that's where it starts.  In your own mind.  The people around you that are saying negative things about others, or even themselves, are only repeating the things rolling around in their minds. 

But then they say them. 

And now you've heard them. 

And the positivity that you're holding onto takes a beating. 

For people like me, a girl who is sometimes hanging on by her fingernails to keep her positive thoughts, that's a big deal. 

This world we live in has no shortage of ugliness and meanness and sadness.  There's enough hate and greed and anger to go around this planet more times than we can count.  And it's easy to get caught up in that.  Maybe too easy. 

Things will not always go your way.  People will cut you off on the highway.  Some may not say thank you when you hold the door for them.  People you love will hurt you.  People you don't like will hurt you.  Fairness is not a given; it is going to rain right after you wash your car; no one will show up for your party; someone you love is going to pass away far sooner than you wanted them to and work is always going to be work. 

Our instinct is to say things like, "well, it's just my luck..." It is not your luck.  It is your life.  And it is the only one you're going to get. And in the midst of all that crappy stuff, there is so much wonderful stuff.  I bet if you look back, even on your worst day, there was still an amazing show of love.  Someone loved you enough to listen to you complain without interrupting.  Loved you enough to care that you were upset.  Loved you enough to just sit by your side or make you smile when you didn't think you could.  Or maybe even loved you enough to tell you shut up and deal with it.  Love comes in lots of forms, you know.

That's the positive.  It's there.  Look for it.  Make it a point to seek it out. 

Make it your mission to surround yourself with people who build you up and point out the good
stuff.  We need the good stuff.  And we need to pass it along.    

So pick up your glass, be it half-full or half-empty, and drink it down with a smile on your face.  No matter what it looks like now, it can always be filled again. 

--Jessica



No comments:

Post a Comment