Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Healthy-ish Pancakes

You could seriously call my home The House that Carbs Built.  If you can find it in a bakery, there's a good chance we love to eat it.  We've got a thing for muffins and rolls and cakes and bagels and pasta and, well, you get the picture.  The problem with being a carb junkie is that you end up the shape of your favorite Krispy Kreme.  Round.  Then again, maybe it's a small price to pay for the sugary goodness of one of those bad boys just after they click on the "Hot" sign.  Did you know they have an app that tells you when your local store's light is on?  It's better than the Bat Signal.  True story. 

Anyway, in an attempt to get a bit healthier in my home we've been trying to remove the overabundance of carbs that we tend to eat.  Everything in moderation, right?  This has put a pretty severe damper on our breakfast routine.  Yes, yes, I know that there are tons of non-carb breakfast ideas out there.  But really, do any of them compare to a stack of fresh pancakes hot off the griddle?  Didn't really think so.

I wanted to try and find a way to make pancakes that were better for us, but still tasted like pancakes.  Leave it to Pinterest and my favorite food blog Damn Delicious to come to the rescue.  Right there in my feed was a link to this recipe:  Blueberry Yogurt Oatmeal Pancakes.   I mean, how amazing do
they look?! 

I've never attempted homemade pancakes before but I figured it was time to give it a go. And with the promise of a healthier pancake, I didn't feel so guilty about straying from my usual breakfast of yogurt and Belvita breakfast biscuits. 

Here's the recipe, taken directly from Damn Delicious.  To her goes all the credit.  The picture belongs to her as well. 
 
 
Blueberry Yogurt Oatmeal Pancakes
 
Ingredients
  • 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • Maple syrup, for serving
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees F and a nonstick griddle to 350 degrees F.
  • In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  • In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together yogurt, milk, butter and eggs. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist. Add blueberries and gently toss to combine.
  • Lightly coat a griddle or nonstick skillet with nonstick spray. Scoop 1/3 cup batter for each pancake and cook until bubbles appear on top and underside is nicely browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook pancakes on the other side, about 1-2 minutes longer; keep warm in oven.
  • Serve immediately with maple syrup.

The Final Result:

I loved them.  My two year old loved them.  When your husband says, "well, they weren't terrible," that means he loved them, too, right? 

I had originally asked Steven if he wanted me to put the blueberries in and he had told me no, that the syrup should be enough.  He has since changed his mind and believes that the blueberries are, indeed, the key ingredient to this recipe.  I don't necessarily believe so, but I'm also not a big blueberry person.  Plus, I liked them just as they were.  In fact, I didn't even use syrup and thought they were good.  However, adding the blueberries would have been good as well.    It's all a matter of taste (mine, good; his, well...) it seems. 

These suckers are dense.  I ate two and was very full.  You don't need much to fill your belly.  Steven only ate three and I'm going to say it's because they were filling, not because he didn't like them.  So there.  He says he'll eat them again, so this one lives to see another day. 

Now to find a healthy(ish) doughnut...


- Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment