Friday, August 15, 2014

Creating a Calm Life

I've been seeing this pin floating around Pinterest for a little bit. I've always liked what it said but after last weekend, it really hit home.

I'd written a blog post that you won't ever see.  Not because it wasn't a good one or because I no longer believe the words. But because posting it may disrupt the calm.  See, it's not just OK to be happy with a calm life, it's also OK to put in the effort to create one.

People often confuse calm with boring.  Calm can be anything but boring.  Calm is the chance to sit and appreciate that things aren't moving so fast your head is spinning.  It's quiet moments to read or listen or, for heaven's sake, think.

It is true that some of life's most amazing moments come in its most frantic.  I will give you that.  And some of your most astonishing strength will only be shown when it seems like your world is completely upside down.  When life is anything but calm, when it is pushing you to the point of breaking, there will be wonderful things that will show up.  Compassion.  Forgiveness.  Love.  Friendship.  I will never doubt any of that.

But in the times in between I don't mind that my life is calm.  I don't mind if my time is not so overbooked that I'm too busy to enjoy what I'm doing.  I like that my world mainly consists of a routine, the same basic thing from day to day, with little twists here and there.

Some people like their lives manic.  I get it.  I mean, I don't.  But I do get that people may not want their lives like I want mine. For the most part I want to float along life like I'm in the lazy river, not like I'm white water rafting.  And you know what?  That's fine.  You can take a lot in if you really pay attention to the world as you slowly pass by.  You have fun strapping on your helmet and racing through life, paddle in hand.  All I want to worry about is whether my inner tube has a drink holder.

Keeping things calm can sometimes be a fight.  Not everyone in your life is as willing to float along with you.  Dammit, sometimes someone just wants to pee in your pool.  Sucks, but it's true.  And while I am a huge advocate of not taking any crap (that word was my second choice), I have also learned that putting in the effort to keep things calm may include keeping your mouth shut.  Putting your pen down.  Walking away.  Switching pools.

And I'm also OK with that.

Please believe me when I say that wanting my life to be calm and appreciating that it can be that way, does not mean that I want it to be stationary.  I like to do. I don't want to stay cooped up in my house and never try new things or meet new people.  That's silly.

But when I do go, I don't want it to feel like a race.  And when there are weekends with no plans, that's great.  And when vacations don't happen, that's fine.  And when they do, and they just consist of time with people I love and no to-do lists?  That's the best.  That's the calm.

It's OK to be happy with a calm life.

Float on, friends.










 







No comments:

Post a Comment