Sunday, November 24, 2013

Something's Cooking...

It's a baking day in our house.  We haven't had one of those in quite a while.  I made up my mind to eat healthier about five months ago and, in turn, made my husband's up for him as well.  We've lost a good deal of weight and knowing what a day of mixing bowls, whisks and sugary goodness can do to me, I tend to stay away.  But the holidays are coming and, well, sometimes these things just can't be avoided.  So, to the kitchen we go.

I'm what some might call a bit cookie-obsessed. Well, food-obsessed, but that sounds like an actual diagnosable problem so we'll stick with cookies.  And that should stop any unsolicited advice from people with Psychology degrees (real or unreal) from telling me why I like to eat so much.  I like to eat because it tastes good.  And cookies taste so good.

I've decided to try two new recipes I've found on Pinterest.  Here's the kicker.  They both come with some pretty stout claims.  The first is a "Copycat Panera Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie" and the second is a Nutella Chocolate cookie that literally has the words "BEST COOKIE EVER" (Pinner's caps, not mine)  in the pin description. 

I don't know about you, but I'm a little skeptical of anything that claims to be a copycat recipe.  Just like you might want to be skeptical of a blog that talks about fitness in it's Welcome Post, but follows up with one about cookies.  I'm just saying.  But why don't we both take a leap of faith today?

Panera's chocolate chip cookies are my absolute favorite, recently bypassing the ones that Starbucks used to have before they decided to switch things up on us and get new goodies in the dessert cases.  (For the most part that was fine, Starbucks.  But why did you mess with my cookies?)  Anyway, Panera's cookies are pretty perfect so I was all at once excited to find this recipe at The Pinning Mama blog through Pinterest and a little weary of it's claim.

But, after waiting the specified two-hour freeze time, and baking them up, I was so happy to find that this cookie's claim was so true!  Go make these!  Now.  Who needs Panera when you can keep these in your freezer for up to three months and make them as you want?  Seriously, this could be a problem.  A beautiful, beautiful problem. 

As far as the Nutella cookies go, they were easy enough to make.  The actual recipe calls for you to add sugar.  The pin says not to.  I decided to trust the Pinner on this one and I suppose it was the right way to go.  I don't think the sugar would have been a very good choice given how crumbly the mixture can be towards the end of blending it all together.  You will really get the urge to put your hands in there and just go for it.  Don't.  You'll basically end up with a mud mask for your fingers and not enough dough in the bowl to make cookies.  Smash it all up with the back of a big spoon--that should work just fine. 

Roll the dough into balls and place on a cookie sheet.  Flatten them a good bit and cook for about 10 minutes.  The pin said 7-8 minutes but mine took longer. My husband thought they were really good and he's not a Nutella fan so we'll call this one a winner for ease, taste and cost.   But, BEST COOKIE EVER?  Eh, maybe not.  I think we might have to award that to the copycat. 

Overall, not a bad day for cookies.  My waistline, maybe, but not cookies. 

--Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment