Thursday, November 20, 2014

Baby, It's Cold Outside...so eat chili!

It's crazy cold right now.  And nothing goes with crazy cold like the warm goodness of chili. There are about one million (give or take a thousand) chili recipes readily available via the internet, Pinterest or your mama.

When I went looking for one the other day I got a tad overwhelmed by all the choices.  I'm not really a multiple choice kind of gal. Too many options is not good for me--no matter what I'm trying to choose.  Just ask my husband about my panic at trying to navigate the lengthy Made-to-Order Menu at Sheetz.  

Full.  Mental.  Meltdown.  Seriously, it gets ugly, folks.

But back to chili.  

After spending far too much time looking through too many online recipes and perfectly wonderful blogs about the yummy goodness that is your basic chili recipe, I decided to go rogue and create my own.  I took some things I liked from several I'd seen, some things I already had on hand, and the rest I got from raiding the canned veggie aisle.  Yes, canned.  And preferably pre-seasoned.  I live for ease.  Live. For. It. 

The result was really stinking good.  The only bad thing?  We could have fed a small army.  The recipe below is just as I made it.   If you're don't need a large quantity, or don't do so well with leftovers, just cut it back some.  

*Recipe notes at bottom 

Jessica's Slow Cooker Chili 
(When you make up your own, you name gets to go in the title.  
It's the little things.) 

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground turkey meat, browned & drained
  • Medium Onion
  • 1.5 Tablespoons Chili powder
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Black pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 28 Oz. can Mild Rotel, drained
  • 15 Oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed 
  • 15 Oz. can corn, drained
  • 15 Oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained
  • 29 Oz. can tomato sauce (I used Hunt's Basil, Garlic & Oregano)
  • 14.5 Oz. can diced tomatoes, drained (I used Del Monte Basil, Garlic & Oregano)
  • 16 Oz. can chili beans in mild sauce, NOT drained
  • 6 Oz. tomato paste (I used Contadina brand with Roasted Garlic) 
  • 1/2 a 14.5 can of Beef Broth 
Combine everything into your slow cooker and give it a good stir.  Let it heat on Low for 6-8 hours.  Eat up!!  

Notes:
  • This chili is not overly "meaty" and could easily go all-veggie.  In fact, I think that's how I will make it next time.  
  • Speaking of the meat, the beef broth gives it a heartier flavor, which is nice seeing as ground turkey can be rather, well, bland.  
  • There is absolutely no reason to add salt.  Do not do it.  'Kay?
  • Confession:  My spice measurements may be a tad off.  Or I could have lied completely.  Basically, I shake those little containers until I like what I see.  Feel free to do the same.  
I hope you enjoy!! 

Sorry there's no picture.  But I'm pretty sure most of you know what chili looks like.  I will have a post coming up in a few days about stuffed sweet potatoes.  Complete with a picture to make your mouth water.  

-Jessica 







No comments:

Post a Comment